Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (PLUS)
In 1622, Prince Archbishop Paris Lodron officially opened the University of Salzburg. It was maintained by a confederation of 33 Benedictine Abbeys up until its dissolution in 1810. Since its reconstitution in 1962 the University of Salzburg has developed into a modern, living university. Partly located in the old city centre and partly in the modern campus near the river Salzach, the University plays a major role in both the cultural and business lives of Salzburg. It has the advantage of being a University on a human scale and serves as a meeting place for teaching staff, students, academia and the general public. In the winter semester 2016/17, a total of 18.061 students were enrolled at the University of Salzburg. Of these students, 36% come from abroad, either taking part in a mobility program or studying independently.
Four faculties (Faculty of Catholic Theology, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Cultural and Social Sciences and Faculty of Natural Sciences) and three inter-faculty departments (Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Teacher Training, Forensic Medicine and Neuropsychiatry) offer 93 study programs in 34 different fields of study and 33 university training courses. All students receive the academic support of 128 full professors and 1000 members of the scientific staff.
The working group Urban and Landscape Ecology works on urban ecology in cities and on landscape management in cultural landscapes.
Essential research fields are sustainable urban development (local Agenda 21), the analysis and evaluation of urban structures, the management of urban ecosystems and urban green spaces, suburbanization, environmental quality targets and strategies for nature conservation, especially in urban areas. To reach these targets, practice-oriented research projects regarding urban environmental development and cooperation with universities, research institutions and decision makers of local and regional level are established.