Gorno-Altaisk State University (GASU)
The history of Gorno-Altaisk State University began in 1949 when Gorno-Altaisk Teacher Training Institute was organized. In 1953, it was transformed into Gorno-Altaisk State Pedagogical Institute (GASPI). Its present status the university obtained on June 20th, 1993, when Gorno-Altaisk State University (GASU) was created on the campus of GASPI and Gorno-Altaisk Agricultural Technical School.
Today, the university includes five Faculties (Natural Sciences and Geography, History and Philology, Psychology and Educational Sciences, Economics and Law, and Altai Studies and Turkic Languages) and the Institute of Physics & Mathematics and Engineering & Technology, which offer 5 Secondary Vocational Programs, 28 Bachelor’s, 1 Specialist's, 12 Master’s, and 12 Candidate Degrees.
One of the distinctive features of GASU is its advantageous location in a multicultural and extremely beautiful area. Natural riches and the cultural and historical heritage of Altai Mountains became a fertile base for preparation of highly skilled experts in many different areas.
The university is a leading scientific center of the Altai Republic. Its interdisciplinary research activities are mainly focused on 6 key themes:
- Studying, conserving, and reviving tangible and intangible heritage of peoples of Altai and its neighbouring territories;
- Studying the influence of climate change, manifestation of adverse natural conditions, and human impact on socio-, bio-, and geosystems of Altai;
- Sustainable wildlife management and biodiversity conservation;
- Assisting in the social and economic prosperity of the Grand Altai region through sustainable development of agriculture, alternative energy, and ecological tourism;
- Complex geophysical research in the territory of the Altai Republic;
- Complex research in the field of mathematics, electronics, programming, and information technologies.
Upcoming SUNRAISE events
- 15-29 July 2018 - International Summer School "Monitoring and Early Warnings in Mountain Social-Ecological Systems"
- 21 February 2018 - Regional meeting for Russian partners